Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Week in Review

Caught is looking up. Wednesday and Friday were my off-book deadlines. Wednesday was good. Friday, not so good. I was surprised at both ends of the spectrum--by people who really WERE off book and people who weren't. It really can only get better. I'm not saying it's bad, but that's the nature of the beast--rehearsals are supposed to make the show better--and they do. I hope that I get to rehearse on stage on Monday--doubtful, however, because I think that "Peter Pan" call backs will not only pre-empt us, but take some of my actors.... Because after all, everyone CAN do EVERYTHING. I also hope that I get to rehearse with my sound cues. I'm a little....hesitant to ask SoundGuy to sit in rehearsal and run them. Is that how it's done at the high school? I know this is my second year there, but it doesn't keep me from feeling like a stranger in a strange land who doesn't really know the language, the rules, the protocols, or what expectations are really on me....I feel like the Rookie Show is the low man on the totem pole and everything else takes priority over it. Grumblegrumble. In any case, I praised them before I let them go on Friday and gave them three assisgnments: 1) get louder, 2) slow down, 3) enunciate. Those are our three issues. They were all looking at me and I felt they were internalizing what I said. I hope so.

We had our first blocking rehearsal for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever on Thursday. I wrote a little bit about it in my previous entry. It took us the whole two hours to block 14 pages, which is what I wanted to get through, but I had hoped to have time to go back and 'lock it in'. Hence, Block and Lock. The more people on stage, the more difficult it is to create my moving piece of art. I have twelve new families in KidsPlay and 21 new faces. I just hope the parents and the veterans can be patient while I teach the fundamentals to the newbies. Got involved in long discussions about the set, long discussions about lines, and costumes. Gave way on most; holding my ground on a couple....

This was a sewing weekend. I bought yards and yards and yards of white flannel for the angel costumes. I bought all that the east-side Wal-Mart, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby had and ended up driving down to Shelbyville to the only other central Indiana Wal-Mart that still carries material for another 14 yards!! I had good sewing help yesterday morning and again this afternoon. Thanks to Lais, Rachelle, Laura, Frances, Carie, and Shannon for your help. It was MUCH appreciated. I chose flannel because I thought it would be easier to sew with than the flimsy broadcloth, and you can't see through it.

Tuesday starts our first choir rehearsal. Wish us luck. <---and THAT'S a line from Caught. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment