Monday, September 21, 2009

"Everything Always Comes Together in the End"

"Everything always comes together in the end." I REALLY hate this phrase. I get this rather often from my theatre parents...and others...usually people who are distanced from the process, but sometimes from people who are not. Yes, usually everything does come together in the end--with varying degrees of success--but NOT just by thinking about it and hoping that it will. Not just by continually repeating this phrase. It DOES come together in the end, but only with good planning and hard work. Work that SOMEBODY has to do--and it's usually somebody that isn't standing around saying, "everything always comes together in the end".

I think that that's what Caught in the Act is suffering from right now: "Everything-Always-Comes-Together-in-the-End" Syndrome. I think that there are people in the cast and people around me who think that just because we SAY we're doing a show, and we have a director and a cast, that it will happen just because we have all the pieces. Nope. You HAVE to put the pieces together. Really, there's work involved. It needs work. It needs dedication. It needs ATTENDANCE!! I don't think I've had a rehearsal yet where everyone was there!! Silly me, I believe that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. I'm not convinced that everyone around me feels that way. And I simply refuse to throw it to the wind with 'a wing and a prayer'.

Well, I can only work with the hand that's dealt me. Is that a cop-out attitude? It's a realistic attitude. I'm just one person. I can't complete the puzzle without ALL of the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment