Wednesday, August 18, 2010

On Becoming Ouiser

Yes, I'm in another show.  I believe I thought, in the weeks heading up to Yente, that I simply could NOT do that to myself again--put myself through the nervousness  and the stress of being on stage.  Sooooo much more comfortable in FRONT of the stage than I am ON it.  ;-)

This is a pretty interesting experience, this drama with funny parts.  There are just six of us in the cast--all women, with our one male director.  The process has been interesting, as we walk through rehearsal trying different things, trying to find that 'groove' that fits, that feels right.

I feel myself floating in and out of Ouiser.  I know how she sounds, how she feels, her facial expressions, but I'm not yet sure how she walks, stands or moves.  I know my lines inside and out, but they don't always come into my head during rehearsal because I'm not standing, moving, sitting like Ouiser.  Chuckle.  The lines seem to float in the air above me looking over all the characters to identify which one is Ouiser.  If they sense Ouiser, they dive down into my head and come out perfectly.  But if they don't see her, believe her to be Ouiser--if she isn't moving, standing like Ouiser should stand--then I have to reach up and grab them and force them out.  Dtrange theatrical psycho-babble, I know, but that's the best I can do to describe it.

Working on it.  Today, tomorrow--I will go to the Dungeon and walk through my blocking and internalize it as thoroughly as I know my lines.  Go over it again and again in a way there isn't time for in rehearsal.  I like her.  I like Ouiser.  I will be her.

And if you're reading this, you'd best not miss it.  This is going to be the best piece of drama ever to hit the stage at the Ricks.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment